Status: Public Works Director
Status: Full-time regular position
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits
Location: Public Works
Hours: Standard business hours (7am-4PM), varies based on business needs. Must be available to respond to emergencies as needed.
Supervises: Public Works employees
Reporting: Reports to City Manager
The Public Works Director manages a multi-division. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Manages the overall direction of the Public Works Department; interprets Council/Manager policies and develops and implements consistent Public Works strategies/practices and conveys to staff and outside stakeholders; administers consultant and construction projects in the P.W. operational areas.
- Works on dispute resolutions with internal and external customers as needed; develops and coordinates Public Works Operation and Maintenance and Capital budget activities for Manager/Council approval and make spending decisions, including prioritization and schedule.
- Manages/Coaches reporting staff members and mentor’s individuals in development and work assignment situations;
- Provides leadership role in determining staffing levels, hiring decisions, and department employee issues involving adherence to policies, procedures, and discipline.
- Responsible for sanitary sewer, and water supply lines.
- At times will attend City Council meetings, Utility Commission meetings, and other meetings as needed.
- May be called back to work for emergencies and routine work.
- Oversees work on streets, alleys, storm sewers, drainage ditches as well as City Cemetery and more. Some duties involve street patching, snow removal/sanding, traffic signs mowing, tree removal, park maintenance and other as necessary. Oversees skating rink maintenance.
- Responsible for maintenance of City dikes. Further monitors river, repairs river banks and areas. Maintain some flooding control materials and responsible for flood preventatives.
- Manages weed eradication and mowing including mowing roads/ditches, mow notified properties and some sparing of City properties.
- Maintenance work at City Airport.
- Assists other Departments when needed.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
Education: High School Degree.
Work Experience: Minimum of five years in public works.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel). Commercial driver’s license, Class B with tanker and air brakes endorsements.
Physical and Mental Requirements: Physical effort may include work with lifting or carrying around 50 pounds. Outdoor activities such as observing and navigating on, around, and through public and private infrastructure (streets, utilities, buildings, etc.); meeting with property owners; and visiting construction sites, grading sites, and various environmental areas. There is a need to make presentations, which involves public speaking in front of City leaders and the public. Between 15% and 45% of the time there is pressure associated with a project or activity deadline. Report preparation and writing at times requires extended use of a keyboard. Work interruptions are frequent.
Working Conditions: Work involves a normal office environment. However, several outdoor activities occur where you are exposed to traffic, construction, noise, dust, weather including at times very hot and cold days, etc. where safety equipment is required. Regular driving or riding is required to attend meetings and other City facilities. The job may involve dealing with and calming individuals who are emotionally charged over an issue.
The City of Granite Falls is accepting applications for the position of a Public Works Director. This person manages the overall direction and employees of the Public Works Department. Work includes overseeing work on streets, storm sewers, park maintenance, the City Cemetery, snow removal, the sanitary sewer system, and more. Must have or be able to obtain a CDL Class B MN driver’s license with tanker and air brakes endorsement. Salary range is: $32.82Hr. - $41.59Hr. depending on qualifications. Applications are due Monday January 31st, 2022 by 4:30p.m. The job description and employment application are available at the Office of the City Clerk or on the City’s website: https://www.granitefalls.com. Applications should be mailed to Attention City Manager Crystal Johnson, 641 Prentice Street, Granite Falls, MN 56241.
Deadline for Applying : Feb 1, 2022